Sunday 29 October 2017

You're The Only Thing Worth Dying For: Two

Vampire: The Requiem
You're The Only Thing Worth Dying For

Two: Some kind of spark

One

"You're not human, are you?"

Daniel flinched away, knowing she'd seen too much to believe a simple explanation. And seeing that she was frightened... but also sympathetic.

"I'm human. But... not human like you."

And then he was gone, into the dark.

But staying close, in case the other vampire came back.

...

The next night, he waited for her near the bookstore near campus.

Again, she was afraid, but not like she should have been.

"You came back."
"I thought he might."
"The vampire...?" She paused, as if saying it out loud made it real. "The other vampire."

He looked away, ashamed.

"How... How long have you been like this?"
"Not long. Months. It was an accident... she said."
"Is she still around?"
"No."
"Are there more of you?"
"Some. Not many."
"How do you - ?"
"The donor center. Animals sometimes, but I can't do that for long."
"Have you ever...?" Her voice trailed off as she thought of the other vampire's fangs.
"No. But I've come close."
"Why are you telling me?" She felt a chill of fear again.
"Because... now you need to know."
"Is he gonna come back?"
"Maybe. It's... easy to hunt here."
"Um... Thank you."

He looked surprised.

"Uh, so, what's real? Sunlight, stakes...?" She glanced at the window of the bookstore across the path, and saw his reflection there. "Not mirrors."
"No. But sunlight, yeah. And stakes, apparently. But not being invited in."
"Shit. that woulda been helpful."
"Yeah."
"Um. Since we're sharing information, I'm Sarah."

He hesitated. He hadn't told anyone his name since he died.

"Daniel."

...

They sat in the bookstore. She sipped her coffee. He held his to warm his cold hands.

"So... God, I have so many questions."
"I did too. I didn't get many answers."
"Umm, well. What else is there? Are there ghosts?"
"I don't know. Sorry."
"Oh, uh, that's fine. It's better than 'there's one right beside you' or something."
"Yeah." He smiled, just for a moment. Then he looked back at her. "You're taking this very well."
"You saved my life. That buys you a little cred."

He nodded.

"Oh, how's your friend?"
"I don't actually know her. She'll be okay."
"Good."
"But she needed a transfusion." She looked at his reaction.
"I, ah... I need to work on that."
"Yeah, you do." Her hand went to her neck instinctively.

He stood up.

"I should go."
"Will I see you again?"
"... If you want to."

No comments:

Post a Comment